Wednesday, May 11, 2011

600 Plus Miles

Spent last night at mile 602 near Virginia Route 606.  I'm really making much better time now that I'm hiking without my sleeping bag.  I sent it home about 10 days ago, maybe a little too early.  There were some really cold nights when my feet were freezing.

Monday we had some "Trail Magic" at a little church near the trail.  The congregation at the church makes breakfast every Monday for the hikers coming by.  It was a welcome feast of egg casserole, sausage biscuits, blackberry preserves, baked goods, and drinks.  The people couldn't have been nicer.  They even gave us a ride to the Dollar General store about 10 miles away to resupply.  There was a Dairy Queen nearby so I couldn't resist a Butterfinger Blizzard! I was with Doc, Do What, and Cappy.

Tonight I'm hoping to stay at the Woodshole Hostel at mile 619, called a "little slice of Heaven not to be missed."  It is a 1880s chestnut-log cabin that was opened by Roy & Tillie Wood in 1986.  Their granddaughter and her husband continue as the proprietors today.

Tomorrow evening I'm meeting up with my brother in Pearisburg, VA.(Mile 627) It will be a nice break from the trail. I want to get there early to get cleaned up before meeting him.

Don't know if you've seen the pictures of my visit with Joe and Karen from Ohio last week, but it was a great day. I had a nice breakfast and visit with them. They brought some apples and bananas which were a great trail treat for some of the other hikers.  Thanks, Joe and Karen!

I'm a little more than 1/4 of the way to Katahdin.  This coming weekend (May 13-16) is "Trail Days" in Damascus, VA.  Many of the hikers will get rides back to Damascus for the festivities. I don't think I will go back for it, but maybe next year! It is supposed to be a great weekend with a hiker parade and live music and good food.

I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see.
-John Burroughs



No comments:

Post a Comment