Sunday, June 12, 2011

Out of Shenandoah National Park & Skyline Drive

Just hiked out of Shenandoah National Park and the Skyline Drive area today.  It was a beautiful area, but just outside of it there was a big rock drop which was pretty treacherous.  Trying to decide whether to head into Front Royal, VA today which would be another 3+ miles of hiking the trail and then a hitchhike to town.  Right now I'm at the Tom Floyd Wayside Shelter (Mile 958). Some of the other hikers decided to head down there but then it started raining so I will decide soon what to do.  No matter what, I will be in Front Royal tomorrow for the day.

Had a great visit with Jan, her sister Barb and brother-in-law Jerry on Friday.  They met me around the 32 mile marker of Skyline Drive and then we drove to Luray.  We had a great lunch at a little restaurant there.  I ate my sandwich and part of Jan's and had a beer with Jerry.  Then we walked through the town a little while and found a little outfitter store.  I found the bug repellent that I've been looking for so that should help.  They got to see how buggy it is! It was great to see everyone.  They took me back to the trail, brought me some food, drinks and supplies, and dropped me back off at the white blaze to get back to hiking.  Barb had made carrot cake so I had two pieces of that in seconds flat! Jan thought I looked thin, but a little bit healthier than when I was home 4 weeks ago. 

I will have hiked about 100 miles this week which is really good for me.  I think I will be in Harpers Ferry, WVA (Mile 1014) within the week if all goes well.

Just met up with a guy from Kensington, MD who happens to live in Kate & Kurt's neighborhood.  Once again, it's a small world....

Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for. 
~Joseph Addison

1 comment:

  1. General, or should I say Torch... Just saw today that you had a blog of your hike. I am all caught up now and enjoying it. I especially like hearing the trail names and about the trail magic. As your were on the road, you still are and inspiration. God's speed,

    Glen L

    ReplyDelete