Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Week on the Trail

Amy and Brian met me last Sunday in Boonsboro, MD at the Old South Mountain Inn for a Father's Day brunch.  They brought me some goodies and we got some other supplies after brunch. It was so great to spend time with them.  They took me back to the trail and I headed off to Pine Knob Shelter (Mile 1.037) for the night.

On Monday I hiked with Rick from Stroudsburg, PA.  I met Jan, Kate and little Sam and had a little Trail Magic at a parking area on Wolfsville Road in Smithsburg, MD.  They had put a sign on the trail and we ended up spending time with Jessica from Baltimore, Clean Shave from Rhode Island (thru hikers) and 3 young high school graduates from Louisianna who were doing a section hike through VA, WV, MD and in to PA before heading to Falling Water in Pennsylvania.  They brought food and drinks and we had a good time taking a break and talking to the hikers.  Later they took me to get some fuel for my stove and a bite to eat.  Then I hiked to the Ravens Rock Shelter by sunset.

On Tuesday we hiked about 13.2 miles and stopped at the Tumbling Run Shelter that night. On Wednesday we hiked about 12.2 miles.  We stopped for lunch early and then shortly after that we came upon some Trail Angels cooking burgers and the works.  I shouldn't have been hungry, but it surely tasted good.  Thanks to them for the great Trail Magic.

Thursday I hiked about 13.6 miles again with Rick.  We stayed at Toms Run Shelter that night.  I've been mostly sleeping in my tent instead of the shelter.  I seem to sleep better that way.

Friday was the big day of the Half Gallon Challenge.  We had breakfast at the camp store at Pine Grove Furnace State Park and I decided to attempt to eat a half gallon of ice cream to become a member of the Half Gallon Club.  So I waited for a while and watched some other people do the challenge, then it was time.  I chose a half gallon of Cherries Jubilee which was probably a mistake.  Instead of just eating creamy ice cream I also had to eat the cherries.  Well....I did it in a time of 1 hour and 16 minutes and received my little wooden spoon as a remembrance.  I felt like I was going to lose it, but never did.  We spent the night at the James Fry Shelter (Mile 1100.9).

Yesterday we hiked about 14 miles to Boiling Springs, PA and spent the night at the Allenberry Resort Inn.  They have a dinner theater there.  It was great to sleep in a bed and have a big spaghetti dinner with my hiking friends.  Rick and I were joined by a young fellow from Wisconsin whom we gave the trail name Titan. They had a great breakfast this morning for $6.  We hiked about 14 miles today and are spending the night at the the Darlington Shelter (Mile 1127.2).  It's been an 80-90 mile week. Some of the hiking in PA this week has been very rocky, tough for a short-legged old guy.

Getting picked up in Duncannon, PA tomorrow and I will be home for about a week. Hoping to put on a little weight, visit with family and friends, and enjoy the 4th of July celebrations at home.  Thanks so much for all your posts and emails.  I'll be back on the trail very soon....headed to Katahdin!

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

~Lee Greenwood

2 comments: