Saturday, June 18, 2011

Virginia-West Virginia-Maryland

Spent the night at a hostel in Bolivar, West Virginia.  Arrived in Harpers Ferry, WVA (Mile 1,014) yesterday.  I crossed over the Shenandoah River Bridge and made my way to the ATC (Appalachian Trail Conservancy) headquarters and Visitor Center and they let me store my pack and get a cold drink there.  Then I went to a little BBQ place and had a sandwich and couple of cold beers! MMM!

This is probably the nicest hostel I've been in for a while.  For $3 extra  they took us to a Super Walmart in Charlestown, WVA and I got some food and other things. Today I will head back to the ATC where they have a 10 foot relief map of the Appalachian Trail which is really neat. I will also sign the register and have my picture taken to be included in the class of 2011 hikers.

I'm over the 1,000 mile marker!  I will head over Jefferson Rock, the viewpoint of the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers. Then it's in to MD across the Goodloe Byron Memorial Footbridge and on the C & O Canal Towpath for about 3 miles or so.  The next 50 miles or so will be familiar because this is the area I hiked last summer (North to South) when I was starting to train.

Expecting a visit from Amy & Brian tomorrow for Father's Day. It will be good to see them since our last visit was when Sam was born over a month ago.

I forgot to tell you about my day in Front Royal, VA last Sunday.  I had spent the night in a motel there and was headed to get something to eat.  I saw an SUV pulling out of a parking lot and heard someone say, "Excuse me, sir!"  I looked up and it was Hugh John and Rebecca, two friends from HCSO in Maryland.  They were on a short trip and had stopped for a break.  It was so great to see familiar faces!  We visited for about 30 minutes or so and caught up on news from home.  They gave me all kinds of snacks when they left which I consumed within the next day or so.  Small world....

I also picked up a package the next day that my friends the Davis' sent to Linden, VA.  So I was definitely resupplied for this past week.  Thanks to all of you for your kindness.

I also had a short visit from Kate and Sam on Monday (see pictures).  He is officially one month old, just gave his Dad a first smile and is almost 10 pounds!  I'm taking a little break over the 4th of July to attend some family get-togethers and can't wait to see everyone. 


"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the trade winds in your sails.  Explore.  Dream.  Discover."
-Mark Twain

5 comments:

  1. Looking good, pops!! Happy Father's Day! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting ...to be over a 1,000 mile marker! We are looking forward to seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on hitting the 1,000 mile mark and reaching your home state (MD)! You continue to amaze us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad is Buckeye Flash and I see you met him along the way. What is your trail name? Keep up the good work! He is in NJ right now and hopes to be in NY on 6-26.

    Cindi

    http://grauathiker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Torch! I asked my dad about it tonight. He was happy to hear you are still out there!

    ReplyDelete