Thursday, July 7, 2011

Back on the Trail Again

I'm back on the trail again!  I got a ride back to the Duncannon area on Wednesday and hiked about 8 miles the first day. I spent last night at Peters Mountain Shelter (Mile 1149.8). 

Today I hiked about 18 miles and am staying at the Rausch Gap Shelter.  There are a couple of thru-hikers here and a couple of section hikers.  The trail in this area passes near an old mining village from the 1800s.  There is a family cemetery from the 1850s. I got wet when the storm came through and am glad to be in a shelter tonight. 

For some strange reason, my little container of olive oil leaked and made a mess of my food pack.  Everything was in zip-lock bags so the only loss was a small bag of "gorp". It's all kind of slippery and slimy though.

Just to let you know...I ate up a storm while off the trail.  I think I gained at least 6 or 7 pounds back. The first few days home I was eating everything in sight!  By the time I left to come back, I was definitely stronger and heavier. 

Tomorrow I should make under 1000 miles to Katahdin!  Hoping to make it to the 501 Shelter (Mile 1185). This is supposed to be a really nice shelter with a table and chairs and a solar shower. 

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes."
-Oscar Wilde

1 comment: