Monday, July 18, 2011

Delaware Water Gap

Spent the night at the Presbyterian Church here in Delaware Water Gap, PA. (Mile 1285)  My sister-in-law Jane from Michigan sent me a package that I can pick up at the post office this morning.  Then I will be on to New Jersey across the Delaware River Bridge. New Jersey is only 72 miles on the trail so I should make that easily within this week.  Apparently there is a lot of bear activity in the New Jersey area so we will see what the week brings our way.

I had a very eventful weekend.  My daughter Amy came up to hike with me on Saturday and Sunday!  It was great seeing them (Jan drove her up and was our resupplier and taxi).  Amy wants to write about our adventures, so I will leave that up to her.

On Friday, my friend and fellow hiker Rick from the Stroudsburg, PA area slack-packed some other hikers and me to Wind Gap, PA.  Rick has been a real help.  He is an experienced hiker and has given me hints about the area around him.  So he offered to help us out and we took him up on it.  He also brought trail magic.  You could definitely call him a Trail Angel!  I had pizza with him before I headed to the hotel to wait for my family there.

The New York area of the trail is also short, only 90 miles. Apparently there are some places where you can see the NYC skyline so it should be interesting.  The AT actually goes through a small zoo, Bear Mountain Zoo.  I understand there is a statue of Walt Whitman there so I can hopefully get some good pictures.

I'm very glad to be out of Pennsylvania.  There are places on the trail where there are huge boulders that you have to climb over and it is tough.  Walking up the rock near the Palmerton EPA Superfund Site is said to be among the most challenging on the AT south of New Hampshire.  So I can hardly wait til New Hampshire.

Once again, I have met some very nice people.  There are a lot of young people who probably wonder what an old guy like me is doing!  Thanks to Rick and my sister-in-law Jane for their kindness and to everyone for their thoughts and well-wishes.  As Amy and Jan were leaving yesterday I almost ran after the car! (Just kidding!)


"It’s when you’re safe at home that you wish you were having an adventure. When you’re having an adventure you wish you were safe at home."
Thornton Wilder

1 comment: