Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Moving On

Hiked about 15 miles today and am staying at the Eckville Hikers Center Shelter (Mile 1224) tonight. It has a solar shower.  It's been hot and I have blisters on my feet.

Yesterday I had a visit from Jim M., a friend from HCSO.  We met up in Port Clinton, PA, had dinner and went to the Cabela's and Wal Mart to get some supplies.  We came upon Patrick, a fellow hiker from earlier, who was waiting for some shoes to come in at Cabela's.  Patrick joined us for dinner. I had a nice visit with Jim and then he took me back to the trail.  Thanks to Jim for the good food and even better conversation.

This past weekend I met up with a Youth Group from Elizabethtown, PA.  Peter, Vickie, Tom and Shawn, the youth minister were camping with a group of about 6 teens from St. Peter's Church.  What a nice group of people!  Shawn is headed to a monastery in Latrobe, PA in the fall.  On Sunday before they left, I walked over to their campsite to say good-bye. Shawn led a prayer for my safe travel.  It was very touching. I really enjoyed their company and wish Shawn many good wishes as he heads to the monastery.

My first day back on the trail I stopped to have lunch at a picnic table, looked down, and there was a copperhead.  He wasn't a little black snake like we've been seeing, but a big one.  He slithered away and I was glad he did.  I hate snakes!

"The difference between school and life?  In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test.  In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson."
-Tom Bodett

3 comments:

  1. That was very sweet of them to offer a prayer up to you! And I can't believe you saw a copperhead. Scary! I definitely inherited that fear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know about meeting great people man! Last weekend I was hiking with my youth group and we met this awesome thru-hiker named Torch. He ate s'mores with us and he really added alot to our experience. The kids really liked him too. It'll sure be great following his journey to Katahdin. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never did check out that boulder field...guess I'll have to hike back someday. Tom said that's where all the snakes like to hang out. *shudder* And I thought rattlers only lived out in the desert.

    ReplyDelete