Tuesday, August 9, 2011

622 Miles to Go

Hiked into Massachusetts on Friday morning.  I camped at the Race Brook Falls Trail on Friday night. Saturday was a 16-mile day and we stayed at the Tom Leonard Shelter near Monterey, MA.  Yesterday Muldoon and I hiked into Lee, MA and stayed at the Pilgrim Inn.  We had dinner at a little Italian restaurant, did our laundry and got some food and supplies.

Today we hiked about 16 miles, the last 4 miles in the rain.  At Washington Mountain Road we hiked a short distance to the home of the "Cookie Lady."  Marilyn Wiley and her husband Roy live on a blueberry farm and allow hikers to get water and pick blueberries to purchase.  Marilyn had homemade cookies for us and we watched hummingbirds at her feeder.  Muldoon needed to get a package in the town of Becket so Roy took him into town while I stayed back and enjoyed the cookies! Then we hiked 7 more miles to the Kay Wood Shelter.  Kay Wood was a 1972 hiker, is in her 80s and still helps maintain the trail in the area.

Tomorrow I need to stop in Dalton, MA to get a package and some fuel for my stove. Then we'll only have about 27 more miles in Massachusetts.  We'll hike to Mt. Greylock, the highest peak in MA.(3,491 feet)
At the top they say you can see the Green, Catskill and Taconic mountains.  The mountain is said to have inspired both Thoreau and Hawthorne.  Maybe I'll be inspired too! We'll be in Vermont hopefully by the end of the week.

3 comments:

  1. maybe gator will be inspired too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm anxiously awaiting your bestseller!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hiked with Dave on that Friday and we camped out toghether at Race Brook. It was great meeting you, your trek is very inspiring. I'm really glad I got to go back to the beginning to read and catch up on the rest of your journey. I will be following the rest of the way to Maine and wish you all the best!

    Steve aka GreenBean.

    PS I got a few good pictures of you hiking up Race Mtn, if your interested give me an e-mail address to send them too. you can reach me at beans573@live.com

    ReplyDelete