Sunday, August 14, 2011

In Vermont

Hiked 17 miles in to Bennington, Vermont on Friday and stayed at a fleabag motel.  No bed bugs...but not the Ritz Carlton either.  I did have a great spaghetti and meatball dinner.  Muldoon's friends came to visit him yesterday so I got to tag along too. The town of Bennington is really nice and we got to see more of it thanks to his friends.  Ended up having a good lunch and Friendly's ice cream with them before they dropped us off back at the trailhead.  We took a short hike to Melville Nauheim Shelter.  Not a lot of water around here.  I wish I had brought more water from Bennington. Only 576 miles to Katahdin.

The AT joins the Long Trail(LT) for about 105 miles at the VT-MA line. When we get to Maine Junction at Willard Gap the AT heads toward Maine and the LT heads toward the Canadian border.

We are headed into Manchester Center, VT on Tuesday.  My air mattress has turned out to be a piece of junk so the company is sending me a new one there.  It constantly loses air and I've had to fix multiple leaks.  In the middle of the night I ended up waking up and having to blow it up again.  Not fun! I do not recommend it.

Jan sent me my sleeping bag and some cold weather clothes there too.  Nights are getting cooler up here and I don't want to take any chances of getting too chilled and then sick. I'm hoping she sent me a Zagnut or Payday as well!

Vermont is 150 miles long so we will be here for at least a week or so. Then New Hampshire is about 161 miles and once we're in Maine it is 281 miles to Katahdin.  I think I can...I think I can...

Thanks again to all of you for your well wishes, emails and comments.  Can't wait to get back home.

"The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned."
-Maya Angelou

1 comment: