Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Last Stop in Vermont

Spending the night at the home of Betsy(Short and Sweet) and Bill(Gray Beard), section hikers here in Norwich, VT.  They had trail magic on the trail in front of their house with a note to call if you needed a place to spend the night.  So I called and asked if I could pitch my tent in their yard and they invited me in to their home.  I asked if there was a place to get a bite to eat and Betsy directed me to the Norwich Inn in town to get a bite.  So I'm having ribs, fries, cole slaw and a couple beers before heading back for the night.  This Inn is reported to be the inspiration for the Bob Newhart TV show and was built in 1791. I'm looking for Larry, Darryl and Darryl!

This will be my last day in Vermont.  I'm about a mile from the New Hampshire border.(Mile 1738.7)  I hiked 15 miles today.  Tomorrow I will hike through Hanover, NH which is the location of Dartmouth College. I'm hoping to get a hair cut there as I'm looking kind of shabby.

Saturday we stopped at McGrath's Irish Pub in Killington for some good food and then camped in an open, grassy area near the Pub.  On Sunday we were getting packed up and it started to rain heavily.  So Muldoon and I got a room at the Inn at Long Trail and spent the day and night there.  Some of the young hikers went on a tour of a microbrewery, but I took a $2 bus ride in to Rutland to the Walmart, got some supplies, then just chilled. On Monday we had a long hike on the muddy trail and I fell.  I got a bump on my head and a small cut, but Muldoon and I cleaned it up and put some neosporin on it with a band-aid.  It seems to be fine now.

I saw my first moose last Tuesday.  I haven't seen any since.  We hit the 500 miles to Katahdin marker last Friday and were greeted with cold Cokes and Mt. Dews compliments of a local thru-hiker named Mad Hatter.  It was great! 

I'm still hoping to finish in early October.  I'm glad to have my sleeping bag and warm clothes as it gets chilly up here at night.  One of the other hikers asked me what I'm going to do with myself once I'm finished.  I told them I have lots to keep me busy when I get home.  Can't wait to spend time with the new little guy and the rest of my family.  Just got a picture text and I can't believe how big he's getting. 

“Camping: nature’s way of promoting the motel industry.”
-Dave Barry


4 comments:

  1. Congrats Dave on getting thru VT. Two states left. A grand two they will be so enjoy!

    GreenBean

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with the hurricane, but i think you will be ok. i miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been thinking about you as we watch the pictures of the flooding from the hurricane, Dave. Hope that you were/are in a dry spot!

    ReplyDelete