Friday, April 1, 2011

Gatlinburg, TN

Enjoying a warm night at the Grand Prix Motel in Gatlinburg.  It was as cold as the North Pole last night at Double Spring Gap Shelter, mile 196.  There was a tarp on the outside of the shelter, but it was still very cold....the coldest I've been yet.  I used my last hand warmer to try to keep my feet warm. 

It was snowy and the trees were a beautiful sight. Reached Clingmans Dome, the highest point on the AT at 6,643 feet. I  hiked 11.7 miles to get to the road that goes to Gatlinburg. I was able to get a ride into town (15 miles). Feeling a lot better and warmer. It was so cold I couldn't eat and had a hard time packing my things this morning.  I also saw a turkey yesterday.  Someone else said they had seen a wild boar.

I got into Gatlinburg and checked into the motel and then went and had some Kentucky Fried Chicken!  I'm sharing a room with Nor'easter.  Not a bad room for about $16.50 each. I think he is staying an extra night, but I need to get moving so I will set out in the morning after I get a couple of things at a store. I got my clothes washed and also cleaned up all my other things that were filthy dirty.

I sure hope it starts to warm up a little. I figure I'm about halfway through the Smokies.  Passed the 200 mile mark before the weekend!

"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee."
Demetri Martin

5 comments:

  1. Torch,
    Joe Key is only a few miles from the trail. He said the trail crosses Va route #56 in Nelson County (very close to his spread).
    He is offering to host an "Old Fat QRT Guys" get together(you might need more pancakes to qualify)when you come by. Any idea when you'd get there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, Enjoying watching your trek north. Will link up with you get to Joe's place. We can restock your pack, tell some lies, and ensure you have a warm, dry place to sleep. Drive on. John

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about some photos, Dave? Keep on truckin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. today was crazy but WV weather getting much warmer this week, beginning tomorrow (60s) hope this means you too! hope you get to enjoy a few days of sunshine. Happy hiking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesterday back home in Bel Air the temperature reached the high 70's... it was nice but today the temperature dropped to the 50's. Stay warm Dave... I have also enjoyed reading your excerpts... what an adventure. Happy hiking!

    ReplyDelete