Monday, April 18, 2011

On the Road (Trail) Again

Spent the past 2 days in Erwin, TN. (Mile 339)  I was going to stop there for a day anyway, but decided to stay an extra day at the Super 8 Motel.  I developed shin splints in my right leg and decided to rest it an extra day. I used to get them when I was younger from running on hard surfaces, but hadn't had them in years. 

I was pushing myself to try to get to Erwin and probably did more miles and faster miles than a 62-year old guy should be doing. I've decided that I need to just hike my hike and take breaks when I need them.  I'll finish when I finish.

On Friday while I was hiking there were all kinds of trees down from the storm the night before which had 60 mph winds.  I had to walk all the way around some of them.  The shelter was packed that night so it wasn't a very good night's sleep for any of us.  We thought the wind was going to blow us away.

Caught up with Currahee and Jerry G. in Erwin and had a meal with them.  You hike with people for a while, then catch up with someone else that you might have left behind or who might have gone ahead of you.

Ate lots of good food this weekend, so some of those pounds should hopefully be going back on.  I also got a haircut on Saturday, my first on the trail.  I was starting to look like a real thru-hiker!

Today I ate breakfast at the motel, got some supplies and then checked out by 11.  Might only make it to Curley Maple Gap Shelter today, mile 344. Next big stop should be Elk Park, NC at mile 389.  I should have enough food until then. Anxious to get back on the trail....

"On the road again
 Goin' places that I've never been.
 Seein' things that I may never see again

 And I can't wait to get on the road again."
-Willie Nelson

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you got some good meals and a haircut! I was wondering if we were going to have to ship mom down to TN to give you one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Uncle Dave! Finally figured out your blog address. Did you know there is a book called Uncle Dave Takes a Hike? I think we need to rewrite it!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rest must have felt like a little bit of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave, Can you give a rough estimate as to where you will be on the AT around May 4-5 ?
    Will be headed North on I-77 and would like to link-up. Boni gave us your cell number. Will try that also. Joe & Karen Vulcan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave:
    Glad to hear you survived the bad weather down your way. We were worried about you. Ron's friend, Michael Little, started to hike part of the trail on Sunday, but he started in TN and is headed south so I don't think you will pass each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hope you've had a good week, even with a few interruptions. Sat. weather was quite yucky but getting a little better. Happy Easter. Rick will eat your share of pickled eggs/beets and kielbassa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Dave. I am the fellow that you hiked with into the NOC. My wife and I were just doing an overniter. Just wondering how you handled the trip from Devils Fork Gap into Erwin?

    ReplyDelete