Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter

Hope you are having a great Easter.  I stayed last night at the Mountain Harbor B & B and Hiker Hostel in Roan Mountain, TN. (Mile 389)  We stayed in the Hiker Hostel part of it which is the top of a barn that looks over a creek.  The best part is that we were included in the breakfast this morning which was fantastic! Just about every thing you could imagine and more.  Last night we went to a steakhouse and I was kind of embarrassed by what I wore there.  My clothes were still in the laundry so I was wearing a white Under Armour shirt and my running shorts with my hiking boots!  I had showered though!

I met a hiker from Berea, Ohio whose trail name is Buckeye Flash.  Those of you from Ohio can figure this one out.  He's from Ohio, the Buckeye State and home of the Ohio State Buckeyes and he graduated from my Alma mater Kent State, home of the Golden Flashes.  He was there a few years before me though.

We had some terrible weather again this week although yesterday was beautiful. We all ended up staying in another barn called Over Mountain Shelter the night before due to the miserable weather.  There were about 25 of us and 4 dogs in this one.

Also yesterday we had some "Trail Angels" with some "Trail Magic" on the hike.  It was so good to see them because I was down to a pouch of tuna and it wasn't looking very appetizing.  They had water and soda, fruit and other snacks and cakes.  It was a beautiful sight!

I was at another hostel on Monday called Greasy Creek Friendly and stayed with Doc, a retired Army medic and Loose Ends, a policeman from the Findlay, Ohio area. Also there were Blue Eyes, Red Eagle and Tender Foot for those of you who like to hear the trail names.

Hoping to be in Damascus, VA by the weekend. That would be around mile 464.  Today begins my 8th week on the trail. Hoping that little grand baby comes soon so I can take a little break!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." (I smell like that and more!)
-Margaret Atwood

2 comments:

  1. Hey Torch - Happy Easter
    Bob was transferred to a rehab center today! The therapists said they will create an aggressive program. He should regain his strength in six to eight weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're hoping the little guy makes his appearance soon, too!

    ReplyDelete