Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sore Ankle and Snow

Sorry I haven't updated, but cell phone service has been terrible.  I spent Saturday evening at Icewater Spring Shelter, mile 207 and elevation 5,920 feet.  As I was hiking on Sunday, I slipped on some ice and twisted my ankle.  I made it about 6 miles to Peck's Corner Shelter and then stopped to get off the sore ankle.  I took some ibuprofen and taped it which helped, but decided to stay off it one more day.  So I spent all day yesterday (Monday) at the shelter just chilling and enjoying the beautiful day. So that was a true "zero day."

I woke up during the night to a very hard rain and then guess what we had early this morning?  Three inches of snow!  So we hiked about 13 miles through the snow and I'm at Cosby Knob Shelter tonight, mile 228.  We are starting to head down to the bottom of the Smokies and I'm hoping to be at Hot Springs, NC by the weekend. 

I'm getting low on food, but I think there is a hostel at Davenport Gap, TN so I will stop there and try to get enough to make it about 40 more miles to Hot Springs where I have a mail drop (or 2) waiting for me at mile 271. 

The same group of hikers are at this shelter tonight as were at the one last night.  It's very cold and I'm ready for some warmer weather.  I get warm while I'm hiking, but the nights are still quite chilly.

I sent Kate a picture on her cell phone holding a sign to wish my niece Kerry a "Happy 40th Birthday" on Saturday and they said my face looked much thinner.  I think I need to eat a little more than I have been so maybe I can find some "junk" food at my next stop!  Junk food and the Torch???

Thanks for all your well-wishes and thoughts.  Jan keeps me updated, but you can always leave a voicemail or text me.  Fixing my ramen noodles now....and they will taste yummy since I'm real hungry. What a gourmet meal! Sent some pictures home and hopefully they will be posted real soon.


He who limps is still walking.  ~Stanislaw J. Lec

(That was me today!)

5 comments:

  1. Dave, I think the man upstairs wanted you to have "the real" experience, I can't remember a spring with these cold fronts and storms.

    Now that you are a seasoned veteran, bring on the warm, dry weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see some Zagnuts in your future!! Make sure you pick up a few at the hostel; you're getting too thin!!

    That's crazy that you had rain, then snow last night. We had really bad storms last night in the middle of the night, too.

    Glad to hear your ankle is feeling better. What would we do without duct tape?! Talk to you soon, Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let us know where to send the 'zingers'! Hopefully the coldest weather is behind you! Always enjoy hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snow??? Sounds like you're in Michigan! Hope your ankle is feeling better and that you're getting a good "junk" food fix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Torch, I think you need some Ike & Mikes to take along with you on your hike! Good luck with that ankle. I am sure that you will be fine1
    Yuengling Jer

    ReplyDelete