Saturday, July 7, 2012

Can't Beat Father Time

Crossed into Maine from New Hampshire around 3 o'clock today.  I'm at about mile 1901 with about 279 miles to Katahdin.  It's 8:30 P.M. and I'm tired and leg weary. 

I'm in a valley between Mt. Carlo and Goose Eye Mountain about 2 or so miles inside Maine.  Muldoon is hiking with Ruffles, a hiker friend from last year, who joined us at Mt. Success.  I'm sure they made it to Full Goose Shelter.  I just couldn't make it that far tonight.  I did eat tonight... unlike last night.

Yesterday we got a ride with Rock Dancer, a hiker friend who lives up this way, into where the trail begins at Gorham, NH.  That's exactly where I left off last year.  We hiked about 12 miles to Gentian Pond Shelter. It was almost dark when we got there. I was so tired, sore and thirsty that I set up my tent and didn't even eat.  I guess there was a bad thunderstorm last night, but I didn't hear it!  I wish I could sleep that soundly at home. I felt really good this morning though.

Some hikers from Nova Scotia who are southbound told me about the Mahoosuc Notch Trail which I will hit tomorrow.  Apparently it's boulders that you go over, under and in between.  They said that you have to take your pack off and push it ahead of you and kind of crawl through.  Should be an interesting day. 

The weather is good.  At times I felt a cool breeze....unlike the 100+ degree weather in Maryland. A very cold jug of water would taste mighty good right now!  All in all I feel like I'm doing okay.  I just need to get my "trail legs" back and my pack a little lighter and I'll be good.

Thanks to all of you for your well wishes.  I feel real good about finishing even though I can't keep up with Muldoon and all the youngsters.  I have to remember that I have about 30 years on them!

"Walking takes longer....than any other known form of locomotion except crawling.  Thus it stretches time and prolongs life.  Life is already too short to waste on speed."
-Edward Abbey, "Walking"

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Dave to see you back on the trail. Just remember, one step at a time, no hurry. I gave up on keeping up with younger hikers years ago! Safe journeys & Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete