Friday, July 20, 2012

Making Progress

Down to 177 miles to Katahdin as of today!  I have my second week under my belt and am making much better progress.  I think the first 100 miles in Maine is some of the toughest hiking on the AT including the White Mountains in NH. 

I slackpacked today with Flash through the Bigelow Mountain range, known as Maine's "Second Mountain."  We started out early around 6:30 A.M. and hiked about 11 miles. Tonight I'm staying in Stratton, ME at the Stratton Motel & Hostel. The owner will give us a ride back closer to the trail tomorrow morning. It was great to be able to eat some good food for dinner!

Temperatures have been mostly in the 90s during the day, but it cools down at night.  One rainy night this past week I got so cold that I put on every piece of clothing I had, my hood to my rain jacket was up, and I covered my head with my tarp!

I've seen a lot of grouse and toads, but no moose.  Lots of moose tracks and other signs of moose, though! 

Some of the southbounders were telling us about some of the areas where you need to ford the water.  At times it's up to your waist and sometimes it's around your ankles. They say it can be very dangerous.

Still hoping to finish around Aug. 8th, if not before! 

"My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She’s ninety-three today and we don’t know where the hell she is.”
-Ellen DeGeneres

No comments:

Post a Comment