Thursday, July 12, 2012

Slow but Sure

Moving slowly this week.  I've been on the trail a week now and it's a slow go.  I had a couple days off the trail due to some kind of sickness.  Don't know if I got some bad water, something I ate, or exhaustion....but spent a couple days this week off the trail.  I had a terrible upset stomach and no energy at all.  Muldoon was still up here and he recommended I stay off the trail another day.  Good suggestion!

Hiked the past couple days and am feeling much better.  I made it through the Mahoosuc Notch on Tuesday and then stayed at the Speck Pond Shelter.  I talked with Mimi, a hiker and caretaker at the Campsite. There is good water there.
I only hiked 7 or 8 miles yesterday and stayed at the Baldgate Lean-to last night (264.5 miles from Katahdin). Today I hiked about 7 miles and got off to stay at the Pine Ellis Hostel tonight in Andover.  Just had dinner with some other hikers and Flash, a 71 year old hiker, from Knox County, Ohio.  He completed a thru-hike in 2001 and is now section hiking. I'm doing laundry and getting my things together for tomorrow.(Mile 256.5 from Katahdin)

Tomorrow I am slack packing.  I have a package waiting for me at the post office in Andover, but I think I might send it forward to Stratton.  I'm really going to try to get my pack lighter.  My legs and feet feel good, but my heavy pack slows me down.  I was talking to some southbounders and they say once I make it through the 100-Mile Wilderness it gets easier for a while.  Only time and miles will tell!

"The bird a nest, the spider a web, man friendship."
-William Blake

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dave - Glad to hear that you're feeling better and making good and steady progress. The Mahoosu Notch must have been a real challenge. Hope you get to that easier stretch soon...

    ReplyDelete