Friday, March 11, 2011

Blood Mountain

Hiked up and down Blood Mountain today, which is the highest peak on the AT in Georgia (4,461 feet). The story is that the Creek and Cherokee Indians battled on this mountain and so many died and were wounded that the ground ran red with blood. 

We hiked a little more than 10 miles. It was actually harder going down than up. Tonight we are at Neels Gap (3,125 feet) in a hostel.  Not as nice as the one last night but they did give us chili for dinner and I think we get breakfast tomorrow.

I was able to get a lighter tent and some fuel for my stove.  Also picked up the package that I mailed before I left so now I am resupplied for a while.  Tomorrow I will send home my other tent and some things that are giving me extra pack weight.  It was a pretty day here today but much cooler at the top of the mountain.

Hoping to do at least 7 miles tomorrow to get to the Whitley Gap Shelter.  If we can do 11 we could be at the Low Gap Shelter.  We'll see what the day holds.  Hopefully it will be a nice weekend!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
Theodore Roosevelt

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear that things are going pretty well, Dave! We're enjoying your blogs. Hope you have a good weekend of hiking!

    ReplyDelete