Monday, March 7, 2011

I think I can, I think I can....

I'm writing this for Dave as he is hiking Springer Mountain today and hoping to make it to the Hawk Mt. Shelter tonight....

We arrived at Amicalola Falls State Park on Sunday around noon.  Dave signed in and was asked where he was going.  He said he was going to Springer and the Ranger said, "Where?"  He was waiting for Dave to say "Katahdin!", which he finally did.  He told us that they were expecting 28 degrees on Springer last night and wanted to make sure Dave had equipment for cold weather.  He told him that his sleeping bag is good to 20 degrees.  He asked how much his pack weighed and Dave estimated about 35 pounds.  He showed us where the scale was and they weighed it....43 pounds!  I'm wondering if Dave was thinking of Katz, Bill Bryson's hiking buddy in A Walk in the Woods who was throwing stuff out of his pack as he was climbing up the Approach Trail to Springer Mountain.  Katz was throwing stuff out of his pack...even Little Debbies!  Dave didn't have Little Debbies, but he did have a Zagnut in his pack!

We drove up to the Falls and they are absolutely beautiful.  We took some pictures which I'll try to post later.  Just up from the Falls is a blue-blaze marked trail which Dave decided to take to approach Springer.
So we helped him get his pack on and away he went!  Brian and I left him taking pictures of his back as he hiked up the road to the approach. 

As we were driving up I-85 (about 3 o'clock) we got a call from him and he was taking a break at the Hike Inn, which is a resort about halfway up to Springer.  (The Ranger had recommended that Dave stop there for a little break, to warm his hands at the fireplace and replenish his water supply.)  He said he had taken a break and sat down on a fallen tree about halfway up and was doing fine.  He is so excited and not the least bit nervous.  He just wanted to get it started!

Don't know what the night on Springer was like, but will try to update when I hear from him. (Posted by Jan)

"I think I can, I think I can, I think I can....."
The Little Engine that Could by Watty Piper

4 comments: