Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Helen (Not the Girl)

Spent yesterday and last night in Helen, GA.  Just can't get out of Georgia!  Two of our trail mates are suffering with very bad blisters and tendonitis.  So we decided to hitch a ride to Helen and they are trying to get some medical help.  I can feel for the one with blisters because I had them after my short hike last summer. The guy with blisters started the same day as me and Jan remembers talking to him briefly at Amicalola Falls just before he was off.  Apparently his boots were fitted properly, but his feet are swelling as he walks causing the blisters.  He is getting fitted for bigger hiking boots. He probably needs to stay off them for a few days and then the skin will heal and callous and he should be okay.  I'm lucky that I haven't had any issues like that yet.

The shelters are filled with mice as we had heard.  In one of the shelters Chris had one chewing on his boot laces!  I heard someone batting at one during the night as well.  We do hoist our food bags up in the bear cables at night. I don't think anyone's come upon a bear yet though.

With any luck, we will see NC very soon around mile 78.  I've already decided that I need to start making some time and miles if I want to be in VA when my new grandbaby is born in May.  Then I can take a couple days off to go home and see him for the first time.

My brother-in-law Jim asked me about the trail names. Here are some of them:
Free Fall from OR
Currahee from GA
Jim Dog from UT
Moonshine from VA

Most of them I've come to know by their real names as well.  A lot of people just go by their regular names.  Although I saw someone that I hadn't seen in a couple days and he said, "Hi Torch, how ya doing?"

The place where we stayed in Helen is like a little Alpine Village.  They say a lot of students come here on Spring Break.  Not sure about that...


"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most amazing views."
Edgar Abbey

4 comments:

  1. have you met any dogs yet? should i bring penny along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. May the luck o'the Irish be with you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully the weather will cooperate with you for the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll drink some green beer and eat some corned beef (and Zagnuts) in your honor!!! We love reading the posts!!! Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete