Monday, March 7, 2011

I Think I Can, Part II

Just after I posted this morning, I got a call from Dave.  So this is PART II:

About a mile after we talked with him yesterday at 3 o'clock, Dave said that heavy fog rolled in and it started to rain...a freezing rain. He had stopped to put on his ski cap and gloves which was a big help.

He made it to Black Gap Shelter, which is about 1.5 miles from Springer Mountain.  There he joined others who all decided to set up there and stay for the night.  If they had gone on to Springer they would have been setting up in the dark fog. The shelter holds 8 people and it was a full house!
The sleeping bag kept him warm enough except for his feet.  Tonight he will use his hand/feet warmers. 

He said he has met some very nice people. I think he said one was from New Orleans and someone from Massachusetts. It's cold, but he is warm as he is walking.
He is keeping his cell phone off to conserve the battery until he gets to a place to charge it.

As I talked with him, he had already passed Springer Mountain so....he is officially on the AT!

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get."
Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump

2 comments:

  1. Go Torch Go!!! Good Luck on your adventure. I am sure that the only thing that is going to suffer is your golf game! Good Luck!

    Yuengling Jerry

    ReplyDelete