Thursday, March 10, 2011

Slow and Steady Day 5

Arrived at Woody's Gap (Mile 20.1) today and decided to spend the night in a hostel.  So we called the Hiker  Hostel and made a reservation for tonight.  This place is really nice. Chris(38 and from FL), Murray(50ish and from AL) and I are staying at the hostel with 14 others from all over the place. A bunk room, shower, laundry and a big breakfast tomorrow morning as well as a ride back to the trail will cost us about $18 each.  What a deal!  Check it out at http://www.hikerhostel.com/ . Breakfast is at 7:30 A.M. and the ride back to the trail leaves at 8:30 A.M.

A nice lady from MN gave us a ride from Woody Gap to the Hostel. So here we are! Clean, warm and we are going to have Chinese delivered later. We may even have some wine with it.

This place is really nice and the owners, Josh & Leigh Saint, are 2000 Thru-Hikers. We actually passed it on our way to Dahlonega. I was able to charge my phone too!! So we got some miles in and a nice place to spend the night.

The last two nights were terrible. There were 12 hikers staying in Gooch Shelter and it was too crowded. I was so glad to get going this morning.  I am getting low on food but will soon be at Neels Gap where I sent my first mail drop. So I guess I planned pretty well.

Enjoy reading the comments.  Thanks everyone for your messages and emails.  I will check them at my next stop.

"Slow and steady wins the race."
The Tortoise and the Hare by Aesop

4 comments:

  1. Have a great day hiking today! I love reading your updates. Love, your favorite god-daughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20.1 miles down and 2160.9 to go! have a good day dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good talking to you yesterday, Dad! Have a good few days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love the blog ...keep us updated on your journey. Sounds like you met a few hiking buddies. Did you pack corn beef for St Pat's Day?
    One of your favorite sisters and brother-in-law, Bob

    ReplyDelete